soss team successfully finished a socio-economic study for social development in Zakho sub-districts submitted to DNO Company for oil and gas. There were four primary objectives of this study:
- Providing DNO with a current overview of the demographic, social, and economic status in Zakho district (Batifa, Darkar, and Rizgari sub-districts) of Duhok governorate in relation to the major goals of KRG and DNO;
- Identifying basic social and economic community needs in each sub-district;
- Defining community attitudes and perceptions toward oil and gas companies, especially DNO;
- Presenting recommendations for future DNO socio-economic programs.
Four experts conducted the socio-economic study in May and June 2016, assisted by a logistics officer, translator, ten field surveyors, and four data entry officers. The study team used a tiered approach for its data collection: (1) governorate; (2) districts; (3) sub-districts; and (4) villages. The study team interviewed stakeholders, such as head of households (HH), officials of sub-districts, head of villages, government employees, and school principals.
From May 7 to July 5, 2016, the study team conducted the following activities:
- Four focus group discussions (FGDs) with a total of 32 stakeholders across all levels using FGD guideline questions.
- 15 in-depth interviews (IDIs) at the district and sub-district levels using an IDI interview guide. The interviews were held with central, provincial, local authorities, and community leaders.
- A community survey at the village level in three sub-districts with around 500 randomly-selected head of households in 16 villages (4 in Batifa, 6 in Darkar, and 6 in Rizgari) using a standardized survey questionnaire.